Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Triathlon

People are always amazed at the distance I go on my bike for a training ride and the distance I go for a run.
They ask, what do you do?

I'm trying to get my personal trainer certificate, but my main goal is to be a professional triathlete.

I saw the Ironman triathlon competition a few years ago after I had lost somebody very important in my life. Well, it wasn't the first time I saw it, but it was the first time that I really paid attention to it. The stuff that the people went through was rough, but it seemed that the Ironman proved that it didn't hold them down. Completing the Ironman triathlon was proof that they were healed or freed from that pain.

It was hard what I went through, to accept the wrong decisions that I made was misery.

So I devoted myself to triathlons. If something as great as the Ironman triathlon competition can be defeated, then that's what I'm going to do. FOR LIFE!

I've always loved athletics. Growing up in bad neighborhoods, school was a freedom for me. P.E. was my favorite subject in school. More than math, but I never really showed it. This love for athletics grew in me so much. I abandoned engineering, mathematics, and physics. My greatest desire, to become a race car designer/engineer, was thrown away. I didn't need that. It wasn't where I truly wanted to be.

I found it. Watching Craig Alexander win the Ironman struck a light in me. Then I saw Chrissi Wellington win her second title in a row. Those two people are so devoted to what they do that they were declared to world's best! I started to do some research on triathlons and the athletes. I found a man name Chris McCormack. He also goes by Macca. This man quickly became my favorite triathlete ever. He had won the Ironman title and has won the most triathlons ever in triathlon history. This man is the greatest.

Chris McCormack is the athlete I would love to be most like. With such a competitive nature, I had a lot in common with him. He won the Ironaman again in 2010 and was featured on the Wheaties box. I bought the box and cut it into pieces. I wanted to make a puzzle out of it or something. To remind me of where determination can get me.

Plenty of people don't know what the Ironman competition is. So I tell them.

Swim 2.4 miles,
Bike 112 miles,
Run 26.2 miles,
And brag, for the rest of your life.

Those words alone got me into the love of triathlons.

I'm slowly getting into the discipline of training and the specifics of functions.

When I'm ready, I'll be there one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment